Solution Focused Hypnotherapy combines the best from Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) and the transformative capability of hypnosis.
SFBT is a future focused, goal orientated approach to helping. Therapy is focused on your strengths, enabling you to look forward to a more positive future where you are more in control of your thoughts, actions and interactions: far more interested in using the present to build the desired future than picking over the past. SFBT is built on pragmatism:
• If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.
• If it works, do more of it.
• If it’s not working, do something different.
• Small steps can lead to big changes.
• The solution is not necessarily directly related to the problem.
• The language for identifying & implementing solutions is different from that needed to investigate & understand problems.
• No problems happen all the time – there are always exceptions that can be utilised.
• The future is both created and negotiable.
• The client – not the therapist! – is the expert of the client’s lived experience.
Moving beyond the stock description of trance being a state of focused relaxation, recent neurological research has identified characteristic patterns of brain activity which relate to particular states. There are recognised patterns associated with problem solving, being in a state of panic and being properly relaxed. There is also a characteristic pattern for being in trance. Some parts of our brain go quiet while others get very busy. This pattern goes a long way to explaining many of the common effects I see with my clients as I’ll explain when we discuss the brain model.